Saturday, January 28, 2012




It’s January what?!


It’s January what?!
Ok…so I said I was going to start writing again. And I thought the perfect topic would be my “word of the year” and I would begin it on January 1st. I started thinking about “my word” around the middle of December and just waited until a word chose me. I read somewhere that that’s what your really supposed to do (sounds crazy doesn’t it?! but it really happened!). So anyway…I was going through words and words and more words that could possibly be MINE. I like organize…and relish….and enjoy…and limit….and create…..and prioritize…..and organize (I really liked that one!)…and a few more. But for some reason the word JOY kept popping up. I would find my self telling others to have a joyfully attitude, that joy is something we chose to have and should strive to show. Then it finally hit me (yes it was one of those ‘DUH!’ moments) that JOY was the word I have been looking for! Again….well DUH!!! So I have made JOY my mantra. I will joyfully celebrate my family, I will joyfully perform my job duties (may need a little extra wine from time to time to pull that one off), and I will choose JOY over discontent, complacency, and generalized lethargy. I will JOYFULLY tackle my school work (remember I lost my mind a year ago and thought I just wasn’t busy enough and ought to go back to school!) and I will JOYFULLY do things for my family…even if I am tired, stressed, and just plain mentally exhausted! I am making it my mission statement for the year, “To present a joyful attitude in all I do”. We can always find joy, even in the smallest most unexpected areas. Be that work, where we can be joyful we have the opportunity to provide care to our patients in their weakest and most vulnerable conditions. Especially in dealing with our spouses, even when we are tired or annoyed (or both!), a little niceness goes alooooong way.I am making a point to limit the amount of sarcasm and snide remarks I make to my husband this year. I will TRY to think before I speak, and not take for granted the JOY he has brought to me, whether that be from our 2 precious children, who bring JOY to me in all that they do, or Mr. Loud for cooking supper for us, or just taking the trash out because I hate to. There are so many out there whose husbands never returned from war or were never active participants in the family to start with. I will JOYFULLY give thanks for my family!
I’ve actually also been de-cluttering my surroundings lately….you know….to make room for more JOY! LOL!! But as I’m cleaning out closets and throwing away junk I’m doing it JOYFULLY. Have you ever looked around at all of the JUNK you have accumulated?! Whether that be the shirt that looked so cute in the store and it was on sale so of course you bought it but have never ever worn it…..to all the cute “dust collectors” or shelf stuffers you just had to have because they were chickens, or blue, or fleur de lis’s or whatever. Sometimes we have to just clean up and throw out….so that we can JOYFULLY make room for new and better things to come. So this month I am on a mission to clean out and organize and have a JOYFUL spirit about me. I’m going to smile more and talk “things up” and not buy into gloom and doom or those who seek to steal our JOY. So far so good….but somedays it’s a struggle….some days I just want to cuss and fuss and go shopping for more dust collectors! But then again don’t we all. My wish for this year is that we all try to CHOOSE JOY and not only choose it but LIVE JOYFULLY. For we all have choices as to what our attitudes are….and as for me….I’m going to CHOOSE JOY…..and a little more wine in the evenings….that should help when my joy level is low!

No comments:

Post a Comment