Saturday, January 28, 2012



What’s in your glass?


What’s in your glass?
I am a Champion, a Nurse Champion that is. No….”We are the Champions” doesn’t start playing when I walk into work each morning. But everyday I get the privilege to “Champion” for my hospital while working on a brand spanking new electronic health care record that the state system has spent aloooooot of money on. This project requires a good bit of travel and long hours and loooooots of extra work above and beyond my regular job of running my PACU. I had to go on one of my “bird trips” over the last couple of days. Some trips are really fun and we get waaaay excited about those. This trip had been lacking excited anticipation to say the least. You know how you have this huge project coming due….you haven’t finished collecting all of your data….but are going to try to use what bits and pieces you have so far…..hope nobody questions you on it……oh and have to present an unfinished document to about 350 people……well that’s what my team has been doing. And let me just say we did a pretty good job! At least we looked good and talked the talk and were able to pull it off. Go Team Pelican! But let me add that pulling it off was not without anxiety, fatigue, frustration, and of course technical difficulties! To start off the day the wireless network went down while trying to do the introduction. We felt real good about that….NOT! Then we noticed that they misspelled the word “manager”…..i’m such a “stickular” for misspelled or misused words in public! Looks bad, looks real bad. While starting to get a little down about our less than stellar beginning…one of my friends reminded me to be optimistic about things. But please know that this friend was being facetious while saying this. He said, “reminder…..is the glass half-full or is the glass half-empty?” To which I quickly replied, “WHAT’S IN THE GLASS?!?!” He immediately proclaimed that as the best response he had ever heard, also proclaimed me as brilliant….which of course I brought up…..then we took a picture of ourselves for prosperity. Just because that’s how we roll!
So all day when faced with adversity we asked each other the question…”what’s in your glass?” It was funny at first, then we realized it actually made perfect sense! The “situation” in “your glass” determines how we view things. The more important something is ….the fuller the glass needs to be……the lesser of importance something is then the less we care about it and that glass being less full is okay. I’m liking this new concept…alot! From here on out I am going to really try to think of that glass being half-full…..and not worry when it’s half empty. I hope your glass is mostly half-full too. Maybe if we put into our glass what we really enjoy it will always be half-full! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment